Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for an HVAC license in Texas?

Complete and submit your application and the $115 application fee to the TDLR. You need to qualify for the license and pass the required exam(s). View forms

What documents do I need to re-apply for my license?

You will need a completed application with your experience and employment documentation attached. You will also need to include the license fee of $115.  TDLR requirements are to provide 48 months of practical experience in ACR related work while supervised by a licensed ACR contactor in the preceding 72 months. The experience can be from the state of Texas or from another state.

How do I know if I qualify for the ACR Contractor’s exam?

To be approved for the exam, you must have all of the following:

  • be at least 18 years old and
  • show proof of experience, 48 months in the preceding six years .
  • If your application is approved, TDLR will notify PSI (the Texas exam provider) and you will receive a postcard letting you know that you have been approved to take the exam. At this point you can proceed with scheduling your examination. The exam fee gets paid directly to PSI.

What is the difference between an Environmental or Commercial endorsement?

  • “Environmental Air Conditioning” involves meeting human comfort requirements.
  • “Environmental” includes central air conditioning and heating for human comfort.
  • “Commercial Refrigeration” is designed to control temperature, and/or humidity specific space that is not specifically for human comfort. Examples would include cooling of a computer room, or food freezers.
  • “Process Cooling or Heating” includes controlling temperature, humidity, or cleanliness solely for production requirements or the proper operation of equipment.
  • “Commercial Refrigeration/Process Heating and Cooling” is limited to coolers, freezers, ice machines, and equipment that provides temperature and humidity controls.

What is the difference between a Class A and a Class B license?

  • The Class A license allows you to work on any size unit.
  • The Class B license allows you to work on systems up to 25 tons, or heating equipment rated up to 1.5 million BTUs/hour.
  • When your license is issued it typically follows the form: Title/Class/Number/Endorsement code-TACL/A/000000/C.

Endorsements are:

  • Environmental Air  – E;
  • Commercial Refrigeration – R;
  • Combined – C

How do I add an endorsement to my license?

Use the form ACR003 Notice of Change and Duplicate License Request, include a fee of $25.

Does Texas reciprocate with any states, and if so, which states?

Yes, Texas reciprocates with South Carolina and Georgia. Contact the TDLR and the either of the other states for complete details

NOTE:  You must hold an out of state license for at least a year in order to be eligible for reciprocation

Georgia license requirements:
Georgia Class II, Conditioned Air, unrestricted license is the only one that reciprocates.

For South Carolina licensees:

Several classification line up with Texas classifications. See both states for complete details.

Testing for the HVAC/R License:

What are the requirements to take the exam?

You must turn in the following:

The Candidate Information Bulletin can be downloaded on our web site.

How can I prepare for the exam?

Take a test preparation course from Construction Data.

How do I get scheduled for my exam?

You may schedule your exam by going to www.psiexams.com or contact our office at 888-500-7277

How often can I take the exam?

As many times as you would like within one year from the time you file your application, but PSI will charge for each exam.

 Do I need a certificate of insurance before I take the exam?

No. The certificate of insurance will be required after you pass the exam.